Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas at the Races!

Welcome to Christmas at the Races!! Horse racing is a huge thing around here so we thought it would be fun to go to one of the special events with Neil and Vanessa. Vanessa's father and family have been following racing for years so she knows all about these things. All I knew about horse racing is that you get to wear a big hat!
Neil and Manuel very excited to be up so early for a fun day.

Me and my headband on the train. (This was a very casual family day at the races so not really dressing up. Only a few people had hats...like the horse owners...most people were wearing a fascinator/headband of some sort.)
Vanessa on the train. It was only about a 30 minute train ride to get to the Trentham race track.
We got there a bit early so we could get a good spot to set up our 'camp.' We even had a little sun shade which came in handy since it was such a sunny day...and yes, I'm actually assisting Neil with the building!
Vanessa and I sitting in the sunshade waiting for a race to begin.
These colorful people came parading by...it was a little weird. Even Vanessa hadn't seen them before.
This is Nicole modeling her race book (it has all the races and horse stats in it) and first betting ticket.
Edward holding one of Neil's winners!!!
This is the Birdcage where you can scope out your horsey and make sure you picked a good one before they go out into the gates.
This is jockey Robert Hannam on Our Centrefold. I won about 2 dollars off of these two. woo hoo!
This is our little camp. Neil is teaching me how to read the race book correctly.
I forgot the official term for this person...but there was two of them. They basically lead the horses and riders on and off of the track. I think...
Annnnd they're off!I'm not sure which race this is, there were 10 that day. So exciting.
Neil and I displaying our winning tickets. It might have been Cracker Tee Pee or Tip The Wink, we won on both. I started out picking based on cool names but by the time it got to race 4 or 5, I was getting pretty good. Plus there were a few realllly good jockeys there.

I mentioned that Vanessa's family is really into racing and she wanted to say 'hi' to jockey Opie Bosson. She was very excited when he said 'hello' back. She bought her Dad a book for Christmas about famous jockeys and racing for Christmas that she brought to the race in case she was able to get anyone to sign it. So we set off jockey hunting.
And we found Opie Bosson!! (this was a huge deal for her...can you tell?) He signed dad's book.
Along with Michael Walker...at least I think that's him. Jockeys are soo short! Just like Vanessa, in fact her dad has always wanted her to be a jockey. (he's really into racing...)
Nicole and I were trying to get Edward set up so that he could get a picture with the horses running behind him when a girl was like 'oh my gosh, is that Edward Cullen?' She's obviously a Twilight fan.
'Hello from Trenthan Racing!' love, Edward.
Edward was a big fan of the races...even though it was sunny.
So sunny in fact that he didn't want to stand out so he hid behind Vanessa's leg.
We all had a great day at the races! It was a beautiful day out there and it was so relaxing and we had a great picnic thanks mostly to Nicole and Vanessa. Neil won the most out of all of us. I took twenty dollars out there and came back with $19, not too bad. I tend to just make safe bets. I think Vanessa is going to take Nicole and I to Ladies Day at the Races in March and that's where we actually get to wear a big hat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment